For short ribs:
5 pounds of bison short ribs
1/4 cup of butter
3 celery stalks, rough dice
2 large carrots, rough dice
1 medium onion, rough dice
1 1/2 cups of red wine
1/2 cup of beef or game broth
1/3 cup of sherry
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 bay leaves
1 large fresh thyme sprig
For the pickled caramelized onions:
1 tablespoon of butter
2 large red onions, halved, thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
butter, room temperature
16 slider buns
12 ounces of old white cheddar, sliced
4 cups of baby spinach wilted
For the short ribs:
1. Sprinkle the bison with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a large wide pot over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook the bison until browned, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet.
2. Add the celery, carrots and onion to the pot and saute until beginning to soften and brown, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add wine, broth, sherry, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme sprig; bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Return the ribs to the pot. propping up on sides and arranging in a single layer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for one hour.
4. Using tongs, turn ribs over in a pot. Cover and simmer until the ribs are tender and the sauce is very thick, occasionally rearranging the ribs in the pot to prevent sticking, about 1 and 1/2 hours longer. Uncover and cool for 30 minutes.
5. Transfer ribs to work surface. Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprig. Spoon off fat from the sauce pot. Remove the meat from the bones. Cut meat int 3/4 to 1 inch pieces. Return meat to pot and prepare for assembly.
For the pickled caramelized onion:
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium to high heat. Add onions, sprinkle with salt, and saute until beginning to brown, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar and cook until almost all vinegar is absorbed, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Transfer to microwave safe bowl; cool. Cover and chill. Microwave in 15-second intervals until lukewarm before using.
1. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Butter all of your slider buns; place buns buttered side down, and toast in oven until golden brown. Once toasted flip the bottom bun of each sandwich and remove the tops from the tray and set aside.
2. Divide short rib mixture among the bun bases, about 1/4 cup for each. Divide cheese among sandwiches. Spoon about 1/4 cup of onions over each sandwich. Place large handfuls of wilted spinach atop onions. Place the tops back on the buns and return sandwiches to the oven until warm and melty.